History of MCC

 

Monadnock Congegational Church was birthed on June 26, 1988, after a group of 80 people were led to form a church in keeping with the reformed tradition. This group had recently separated from a local church over widening theological differences. On the evening of June 26th, a copy of The Salem Covenant of 1629 was signed by 72 people to solidify their commitment to Jesus Christ and to each other. This new congregation worshipped together for the first time on July 10, 1988.

 

Rev. Stuart K Norris, was called to be our first pastor. The call was issued on August 21, 1988, the same day that we chose our church name. Rev. Norris was installed on October 23. He led us with calm and peace filled faith during the first years of our existence when we had no church home. For three years we met at Conval High School, carrying in and out all our supplies for both worship and Sunday school. On January 23, 1989, we held our first business meeting, adopted our Constitution and By-laws, elected officers and stepped out in faith by forming a land search committee in order to build a church home.

 

In December 1991, we were blessed to purchase our church home, formerly an inn with a historically renovated barn. God’s blessings continued as just the right people were provided to do the work of adapting a barn into a church building. Pews were provided as a gift from the Carmelite Friars of the Common Retreat center. Our library grew from gifts from parishioners’ personal libraries just as our nursery was filled with furniture and toys from our families who had outgrown them. God even allowed us to welcome another body of believers who had left an established church, as we had done, to form a new church based on orthodox theology. They eventually formed the Souhegan Congregational Church of Amherst.

 

In the spring of 1992, Rev. Norris resigned because of health concerns and we had to find a new pastor. But God again showed his faithfulness and by the fall of 1992, He provided us with our new pastor, Rev. Timothy Jantos. We have become a Purpose Driven Church, with members seeking to learn and to fulfill God’s purpose for their lives. We have become both students of scripture and doers of God’s Word. Our church Constitution and By Laws were changed to allow for Servant Leadership in all areas of the Church organization. We support many missionaries and missions including one, Christ’s Initiative, formed by our own young people. We are a praying church which bears witness to God’s Grace and faithfulness.

 

As a young church, meeting in our comfortable New England renovated barn, we have grown into a tightly knit family of believers that ministers to each other and to our community. We participate in events sponsored by the Monadnock Region, provide a freechildren’s clothing room, send teens on missions trips and join with other churches in the area for prayer and partnering in God’s work.

 

In the Fall of 2013, MCC called Paul Gard to be their next pastor. We are excited to see what our precious LORD does with this next chapter of MCC's ministry.

 
 
 
 

Timeline

  • 1988 - MCC founded, Rev. Norris installed
  • 1989 - Constitution and By-laws adopted
  • 1991- MCC moves into its current home, a c.1875 renovated barn
  • 1992 - Pastor Tim Jantos installed
  • 2012- Pastor Tim Jantos resigns (20 years of ministry)
  • 2013- Pastor Paul Gard installed